09/05/2012

pretentiös rubrik om hjärtan på fel platser





Two, out of perhaps ten exposures I could stomach that day. My conscience couldn't allow more exploitation of the people I met here. This my friend is Kibera, Nairobi. It is the second largest slum in the world. Never before had I been so seriously disgusted by being a "wealthy" white male. At this time it could have turned my guts inside out just knowing I had a home to go to. A roof and a bed.

Even today, three years later, these pictures and the memories from that day humbles me. THIS IS THE REAL WORLD and I realise that I live in a dream. All painted in pink, smelling sweet it is a bad dream that is fucking killing me. Life is unfair and I´m standing in the shadiest corner of the dark pitch. In a warm livingroom with a computer I'm being sick from feeling ungreatful for what I have. But then again: What do I have? Except for the blood in my veins and the love in my heart there is nothing. Nothing. Yes there is a flat and a car and a creditcard and sneakers and bullshit but do I want it? Do I need it? Really. Really?

© Hampus Hagstedt 2012

1 comment:

Julie said...

Fin bild och rolig getbild. Men förstår känslan du har också.